Position: Quality Lab Supervisor
Location: New Haven Avenue
Reports to: Quality Leader
Department: Quality/Operational Excellence
Supervises: Wire Testers
Supervises, coordinates and directs wire testers to provide hands-on testing and evaluation to determine acceptability of wire products. Coaches, facilitates, solves problems and fosters a culture of safety and continuous improvement. Conducts shop floor audits and other duties related to wire quality. Per direction from the Quality Leader, collaborates with engineers and supervisors to reduce scrap and customer returns. Supports the Company’s safety objectives and quality statements.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Provides leadership to ensure a work environment that is safe and free from hazards and unsafe behaviors. Assures that safety issues are addressed in a timely manner. Assures that general safe work practices and specific safe work instructions are followed within the area of responsibility.
• Provides resources to manufacture products that exceed the customers’ quality expectations.
• Assures that products are manufactured to quality specifications.
• Assures quality issues are resolved in a timely manner. Utilizes systematic problem solving methods to determine root causes of problems.
• Performs special and standard tests on wire. Performs on-floor quality audits.
• Works with other personnel on special and sample orders.
• Creates polished (& etched per needs) cross-sections, takes photomicrographs.
• Maintains documentation of testing results. Prepares reports as needed.
• Assists with other Quality functions as needed.
• Manages the plant calibration system including equipment inventory, annual calibration, measurement capability studies and supplier interfacing for equipment repairs and/or purchases.
• Technical point of contact for maintaining functionality of in-line detection systems.
• Actively participates on Operational Excellence teams.
Development of human resources
• Supervises and directs the work of hourly wire testers, including orienting and training.
• Sets expectations for safety, quality and conduct.
• Coaches, counsels and disciplines employees; initiates, coordinates and enforces systems, policies and procedures. Resolves personnel problems by analyzing data, investigating issues, identifying solutions and recommending action. Administers Company policies, plant rules and the labor agreement fairly and consistently.
• Associate’s degree in a technical area is required. Three years’ experience in industry preferred.
• Ability to work safely in a manufacturing environment, including ability to lift & move heavy loads.
• Familiarity with manufacturing processes, equipment, and quality standards.
• Technical, investigative, and mechanical aptitude required; good mathematical skills.
• Ability to perform, interpret, and understand standard and special testing results.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office software.
• Ability to work at moment’s notice variable hours and flexible time periods, including travel of 5%.
• Good manual dexterity, attention to details, and ability to follow instructions.
• Ability to act independently and take initiative; ability to prioritize work duties.
• Ability to work with individuals and teams.
Qualified applicants may submit resume to Suzi Eberle (firstname.lastname@example.org)