Position: Development Engineer, Automotive
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Reports to: Director Automotive Engineering
Technical development lead for automotive engineering projects. Leads product development activities per Rea’s product development process. Supports and implements plans to meet Rea’s corporate initiatives aligned with the company’s Automotive Strategy while working with an automotive team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads technical activities on assigned automotive product development projects.
- Plans and organizes project activities from Phase 0 to Phase 5 of Rea’s product development process.
- Translates customer requirements into specifications and testing activities.
- Leads FMEAs, identifies risks, and engineers risk mitigation activities for projects.
- Identifies validation and verification activities needed for internal design needs and to meet customer requirements.
- Leads internal design reviews following Rea’s design control practices and can present findings and progress in customer design reviews.
- Practices design for lean and six sigma methodology.
- Collaborates with laboratory resources to complete all testing activities called in the test plan.
- Collaborates with the automotive team to gain skills and augment the capabilities of Rea’s automotive group.
- As a core member of the Automotive Engineering group, assists on any activities related to meeting the project milestones.
- Ensures production procedures and controls are developed to efficiently utilize equipment to achieve desired productivity and capability metrics in the project charter.
- Works and collaborates with plant’s members of APQP team to ensure successful completion of Rea’s product development process through “Production Support” – Phase 5.
- Provides technical interface between key customers and Rea team members.
- Supports and implements various tasks, projects, and actions in support of the Automotive Strategic Plan.
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field.
Six Sigma greenbelt certification preferred.
Five to eight years of product/process engineering experience.
Knowledge of magnet wire products and applications preferred.
Knowledge of process engineering techniques with a strong emphasis on modern state of the art equipment. Hands on experience with production equipment and lab equipment.
Appreciation for continuous improvement on design practices, testing practices and overall improvements for the manufacturing of products.
Knowledge of project planning and management and automotive product development practices (APQP).
Ability to problem solve and correct situations using engineering first principles.
Ability to listen, lead and contribute depending on situation, and work well within team environment.
Effective customer communication skills.
Travel 20-30% domestically; 10% internationally.
Qualified applicants may submit resume to Susan Boyd (firstname.lastname@example.org)